Translator & author
Spanish translator and author passionate about literature.
Born and currently living in Galicia, in Northern Spain, I've moved around a lot (including stays in the UK, India and several regions of Spain, as well as travels across four continents). At my last year in High School I decided I wanted to be an interpreter and travel all around the world, so I chose to go to University of Vigo, where I studied Translation and Interpreting. Now I've been a freelance translator for 15 years and I hardly ever leave my home office. So much for career planning!
For the last decade or so my main fields of work have been technical and scientific translations, but I'm currently refocusing my career towards literary translation.
Also, my first children's novel has been recently published. Learn more about it at Me as an Author.
Other relevant data
- Finalist of the X Esther Benítez Award for the translation of La constelación del Perro, by Peter Heller (with Marc Jiménez Buzzi).
- Former columnist and editor in chief of the on-line translation magazine La linterna del traductor. Former columnist for Intercambios, the ATA Spanish Division's bulletin.
- Member of the managing board of Agpti (Galician Association of Professionals of Translation and Interpretation) from its establishment until 2007.
- Volunteer worker for Implicadas No Desenvolvemento, a Spanish NGO, for twelve years. During my experience in Implicadas, I was Secretary and Volunteer Coordinator and Coordinator of the Translation Team, among other positions.
- I have given several speeches, taught training courses and participated in round tables about translation, mostly at University of Vigo and through professional associations such as Asetrad and Agpti.
Fields of expertise
- Un outsider hacia la Casa Blanca, by Bernie Sanders with Huck Gutman (Foca)
- La constelación del perro, by Peter Heller (Blackie Books)
- El extraño caso del Dr. Jekyll y Mr. Hyde, by Robert L. Stevenson (RBA)
- El corazón de las tinieblas, by Joseph Conrad (RBA libros)
- Aprendizaje y mente animal: El adiestramiento con clicker y lo que nos enseña sobre los animales, by Karen Pryor (KNS ediciones)
- África, las maravillas de un continente asombroso, de Gill Davies (Parragón)
- Hermanos Marx. Movie Icons, by Douglas Keesey (Taschen)
- Greta Garbo. Movie Icons, by David Robinson (Taschen)
- James Dean. Movie Icons, by F.X. Feeney and Paul Duncan (Taschen)
- A long Way Home, by Saroo Brierley
- Berlusconi, by Alan Friedman
I have been working as a freelancer for different direct publishers, companies and translation agencies since 2001. Among other important companies, I have translated (either directly or though an agency) for Random House Mondadori (Grijalbo), RBA libros, Taschen, KNS Ediciones, Blackie Books, Foca, Mail Boxes Etc., Lowes, Pennzoil, McKesson, Pfizer, Bayer, Inktomi, Kodak, Marlboro, Navigator, University of A Coruña, Tyco, ADT fire & security, TripAdvisor, Travelodge, Turisme de Catalunya, Renfe, Fórum Barcelona 2004, Hasbro, Universia, Genentech Spain, F-Secure, Amdocs, Nokia, Ameriphone, Siemens Brazil, Alcatel or Verizon.
- Spanish (Spain)
Foreign or non-native languages
Samples of my work
- Baby's book: Goodnight, Goodnight Construction Site
- Children's book: Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of Nimh
- Modern Classic: Of Mice and Men
- Classic novel: Heart of Darkness
info [at] blanca-rodriguez.com
Me as an author
My first children's book: Las aventuras de Undine. La gran tormenta.
On March 2003, my first children's novel (in Spanish) was published by Bambú, a Spanish publisher belonging to the renowned group Casals, within its collection Jovenes lectores (Young Readers). The book has sold over 2000 copies so far. It is a 200-page book full of adventures, fantasy and values for children between 9 and 11 years old.
The first chapter can be read here.
Some reviews about the book (in Spanish only):
The wonderful illustrations are by Galician artist Cristal Reza.
- Ramon Muntaner Prize of short narrative in Catalan for the short story Una llum al puig. Prize granted by the Autonomic Government of the Balearic Islands (1994).